You are a veteran already and only need to know, what changes we planned compard to last year? Scroll down to “What`s different this year”!
You are new to our tribe? We hope you’ll join us for this three-week challenge and beyond. For everyday athletes and seasoned competitors, the young and the “old,” looking for a new challenge and those who are just curious to know what our community is all about — the Open is for anyone.
Talk with your coach, join any team and check out the leaderboard each week to see how you and your friends from the gym stack up against other gyms around the world. Only the fittest athletes will advance to the next stages and may give a shot to compete in the season finale – the CrossFit Games.
The CrossFit Open gives athletes of all ages, body types, and ability levels a chance to challenge themselves. Bring out the best of you, cheer on your peers, and create unforgettable memories during this worldwide event. Take a look at some examples of workout variations from past years. There is a workout variation to work with any fitness level.
General 2024 CrossFit Open Details:
- The CrossFit Open will take place over three weeks, from Feb. 29 – March 18.
- Athletes can choose from 3 different versions for each workout, according to your abilities (Rxd, Scaled or Foundations). It´s 3 weeks, 3 workouts and 3 divisions. On top of that, there are different age groups within each division.
- Officially registered athletes must complete the Open workouts at a licensed CrossFit affiliate gym and have their scores validated by the affiliate manager, or they can submit a video of their workout (with specific video guidelines that must be upheld).
- The cost to officially register for the Open is $20 and athletes can sign-up at 2024 CrossFit Open. Workouts are announced on Thursdays at noon Pacific time. Athletes have until 5 PM Pacific time the following Monday to submit scores. Basically from Friday morning until Monday evening in Europe. The Affiliate Manager must then validate scores by 5 PM Pacific time on Wednesday.
- Athletes who do not want to officially sign up for the Open can still participate at our internal Open events and join the challenge without worldwide ranking. Read more below!
Find your level
Every workout can be tackled in different versions/divisions, making it easy to find a place where you can be challenged yet not discouraged. You don`t need to know your divsion in advance. Once the workout is published, you are able to choose your preferred version. That means, it is possible to perform one workout Rx`d and the next one scaled, if e.g. the weight requirements for Rx`d are out of reach for you. Just be aware, switching divisions within the 3 workouts has an impact on your ranking on the official leaderboard.
Here are the divisions you can choose from:
Rx’d – Do the workouts as written. This is the most challenging option, yet many individuals have moved from scaled to Rx’d as they progress from year to year.
Scaled – Not quite ready to tackle the workouts as written? No problem. The scaled division offers classic scaling options for many of CrossFit’s common gymnastics movements and includes lighter loading.
Foundations – Just started CrossFit or maybe this is your first Open? The foundations workouts are a great place to start.
- Age Groups – There are nine age group divisions offering Rx’d and scaled versions of the workouts for teenage athletes aged 14-17 as well as masters athletes ages 35+.
How we run the Open at CFH
You don`t need to be officially registered and pay CrossFit HQ 20,- USD to participate in our CFH Open events. CFH doesn`t receive any cent of these fees. If you don`t care about global (or national) rankings, and don`t plan to make it to the quarterfinals, no problem. Just join for fun!
As last year, we will host three consecutive “Friday Night Lights”, where all participants tackle the workout together and stay for a drink or two. Besides the Swiss Team Challenge (June 29.) and our 10-year anniversary (April 20.), this will be the biggest social event of the year. Cheer on your peers, challenge yourself and get thrilled by the atmosphere.
Simply join any team and contribute to your team`s success. All you need to do is participate and perform 3 workouts in 3 weeks (preferred on our Friday Night Lights). It doesn`t matter, which division you choose and how great your performance will be. Anyone can join. Newbies & veterans.
Join any of these 4 teams
To ensure you`ll receive encouragement every step of the way, we have asked some seasoned CFH athletes to become Open Team Captains. Klick on the team you like to join and register for our internal challenge!
- “Like fun, but different” Teamcaptain: Ramona Stalder (Co-Captain: Agi)
- “Raiders of the lost Hollow & Arch” * Teamcaptain: Gwladys Mabonzo (Co-Captain: Daniel)
- “HelvetiX T(h)rusters” Teamcaptain: Alejandro Reyes (Co-Captain: Micha)
- “Team Five Eight” Teamcaptain: Joel Baur (Co-Captain: Dome)
*Raiders of the lost Hollow & Arch is a Masters only team (age 35+). If you grew up with VHS tapes & Indiana Jones, you are welcome 😉
For easy communication, use Wodify chat please. Reach out to your teamcaptain and he/she will happily add you to the respective team-chat.
Scoring for your team
Every athlete, who performs the workout anytime on Fridays earns 1 point for his team. Judge + scoresheet mandatory. No matter which division and no matter if officially registered or not. Extra points are credited only for best performances in the following categories:
- 3 extra points for best CFH score female/male rxd divison, 2 points for 2nd, 1 point for 3rd.
- 3 extra points for best CFH score female/male scaled division, 2 points for 2nd, 1 point for 3rd.
- 3 extra points for best CFH score female/male foundations division, 2 points for 2nd, 1 point for 3rd.
Athletes not assigned to a team, but like to participate last minute, will be assigned to the team with the fewest members. Please note that you need an official scoresheet filled out by a judge during each workout. No matter if you are officially registered or you just like to collect points for our internal team ranking. No scoresheet, no points.
What`s different this year
This year, we will “battle” in 4 different teams, each with it`s own teamcaptain and assisted by 2 CFH coaches per team. Other than last year, coaches won`t be able to collect points for their respective teams. Coaches performances will only count for individual accolates, not for team rankings. Extra points for best performances are awarded regardless of whether the athletes are officially registered or not.
Also different this year: You can only score for your team, if you perform the workout on Fridays. There will be special Open classes every Friday at 11:30 & 12:30. You will need to participate then or on our Friday Night Lights events in order to collect points for your team. OpenGym would be a third option, if you can`t make it in the evening. But it should be on Friday and you need to bring your own judge/buddy if you want to tackle the workout on your own. Performing the Open workout on Saturday, Sunday or Monday is still possible, but won`t count for your team`s overall score.
The main reason for this change is because we want to organize tiny award ceremonies on each Friday Night Lights and therefor need the scorecards of all athletes. We also like to encourage everyone to join our Fridays events, rather than doing it during OpenGym. It will still be possible to do it after Friday, but these points will not count for your team, only for individual accolates.
2024 Open Resources
The Judges Course is not mandatory, but we recommend that you have completed it at least once in your life. It provides better understanding of the common CrossFit movement standards and what exactly to look out for, while judging other`s performances.