If you’re new to CrossFit, welcome! We hope you’ll join us for this three-week challenge and beyond. For everyday athletes and seasoned competitors, the young and the “old,” looking for a new challenge and those who are just curious to know what our community is all about — the Open is for anyone.
Talk with your coach to make a game plan, and check out the leaderboard each week to see how you and your friends from the gym stack up against other gyms around the world. Only the fittest athletes will advance to the next stages and may give a shot to compete in the season finale – the CrossFit Games.
The CrossFit Open gives athletes of all ages, body types, and ability levels a chance to challenge themselves. Bring out the best of you, cheer on your peers, and create unforgettable memories during this worldwide event. Take a look at some examples of workout variations from last year’s Open. There is a workout variation to work with any fitness level.
General 2023 CrossFit Open Details:
- The CrossFit Open will take place over three weeks, from Feb. 16 – March 6.
- Athletes can choose from 3 different versions for each workout, according to your abilities (Rxd, Scaled or Foundations). It´s 3 weeks, 3 workouts and 3 divisions. On top of that, there are different age groups within each division.
- Officially registered athletes must complete the Open workouts at a licensed CrossFit affiliate gym and have their scores validated by the affiliate manager, or they can submit a video of their workout (with specific video guidelines that must be upheld).
- The cost to officially register for the Open is $20 and athletes can sign-up at HOME 2023 – 2023 NOBULL CrossFit Open
- Workouts are announced on Thursdays at noon Pacific time. Athletes have until 5 PM Pacific time the following Monday to submit scores. Basically from Friday morning until Monday evening in Europe. The Affiliate Manager must then validate scores by 5 PM Pacific time on Wednesday.
- Athletes who do not officially sign up for the Open can still participate. Read more about how we run the Open at CFH this year!
So which type of Open participant are you? Check out the CrossFit Games Instagram for more Open personas and create your own persona to share on social media!
Find your level
Every workout can be tackled in different versions/divisions, making it easy to find a place where you can be challenged yet not discouraged. You don`t need to know your divsion in advance. Once the workout is published, you are able to choose your preferred version. That means, it is possible to perform one workout Rx`d and the next one scaled, if e.g. the weight requirements for Rx`d are out of reach for you. Just be aware, switching divisions within the 3 workouts has an impact on your ranking on the leaderboard.
Here are some of the divisions you can choose from:
Rx’d – Do the workouts as written. This is the most challenging option, yet many individuals have moved from scaled to Rx’d as they progress from year to year.
Age Groups – There are nine age group divisions offering Rx’d and scaled versions of the workouts for teenage athletes aged 14-17 as well as masters athletes ages 35+.
Scaled – Not quite ready to tackle the workouts as written? No problem. The scaled division offers classic scaling options for many of CrossFit’s common gymnastics movements and includes lighter loading.
Foundations – Just started CrossFit or maybe this is your first Open? The foundations workouts are a great place to start.
How we run the Open
You don`t have to be officially registered and pay CrossFit HQ 20,- USD to participate in our CFH Open events. CFH doesn`t receive any cent of these fees. If you don`t care about global (or national) rankings, and don`t plan to make it to the quarterfinals, no problem. Just join for fun!
As last year, we will host three “Friday Night Lights”, where all participants tackle the workout together and stay for a drink or two. Besides the Swiss Team Challenge in June, this is the biggest social event of the year. Cheer on your peers, challenge yourself and get thrilled by the atmosphere.
This year, our infamous Open teams are back. Do you prefer “Beerfacing Burpees”, “Gin over Bar” or “Wine for Time”? Maybe you`re a CFH veteran and still got your old team t-shirt somewhere deep in the closet. It´s time to shine.
3 teams head to head on Friday Night Lights
- “Beerfacing Burpees”
- “Gin over Bar”
- “Wine for Time”
Join your favorite team and contribute to your team`s success. All you need to do is participate and perform 3 workouts in 3 weeks (preferred but not mandatory on our Friday Night Lights). It doesn`t matter, which division you choose and how great your performance will be. Read more abou the CFH Open rules 2023 below!